Sunday, March 9, 2008

Another day of Baking

Another day of Baking

Boston Cream Donuts - yum.



How sweet it is!



My son has been asking for donuts - specifically what we know as Boston Creme. I used a recipe for yeast donuts by Alton Brown (Food Network). I modified the recipe a little. I followed the recipe previously
and thought I could try a few small changes. The recipe calls for 23 oz of all purpose flour. I used 18 oz of all purpose and 5 oz of cake flour. I was concerned that I would end up with too much gluten and tough dough. I also cut the nutmeg to 1/4 teaspoonful. The last time they tasted too strong of nutmeg. It might be too much or it might have been because I use fresh ground.

Whatever, it all worked fine.
The dough was very tender and soft. It made it difficult to cut and put into the oil, but the results were perfect. Sort-of makes you wish you were a cop. The creme filling recipe I used came from another web site. It was fairly standard, whole milk, corn starch, egg yokes, vanilla and butter. Once again I just could not leave it alone. I substituted half-and-half for the milk. It was rich and good. I found a chocolate glaze on the Godiva Web site.


Kaiser Rolls

I have been wanting to try and make Kaiser Rolls. It took a while to find a stamp for making the cuts. It arrived on Friday. I started the rolls that night. I started with a biga on Friday and finished the dough on Saturday. I followed a recipe in "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart. They came out really nice. The rolls had a thin, crispy crust with a soft, moist dough. They made great sandwiches.



I made both sesame seed and poppy seed rolls. They were both good. I would like to see a little shine to the crust. I may try an egg wash with my next batch.

1 comment:

HRHNeenerita said...

Josh is in heaven when he eats these i bet they are as good and dunkin doughnuts